The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) foundation continues to accept registrations for the 2017 ASEAN Data Science Explorers (ADE) Competition.
The ADE is data analytics competition that encourages ASEAN youths in all ten ASEAN Member States to harness the power of data, highlighting the key issues in ASEAN and derive meaningful insights that lead to innovative solutions.
Listed below are the competition details:
The contest is open to the following:
- Nationals of ASEAN member countries (ie. Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam)
- Full-time tertiary students currently pursuing their Diploma / Undergraduate studies in one of the tertiary institutions in Southeast Asia (includes Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam);
- Individuals above the age of 16 as at the start of the Contest Period. Parental consent is required for participants under the age of 18.
Rules and Regulation
- Each participant is only eligible to join ONE team.
- Each team will consist of 2 members from the same university. Both members of the team should hold a valid passport in the event that they are chosen to travel down to Jakarta for the regional competition.
- Each team is allowed to submit only one entry. This entry will be used to judge for qualifying rounds to finals. No amendment is allowed after submission has closed.
- The entry must be built using SAP Business Objects Cloud.
- Each team must adhere to the submission guidelines stated.
- Teams are allowed to use given data or data from other reliable sources (publicly accessible or via special permissions from the owner of the dataset) but they must be clearly acknowledged in the submission form.
- All submissions must be in English.
- All submitted material must be original and created by team members. If previously published content is used, it must be properly attributed to the original author.
Action Timeframe Online registration 2 May - 16 June 2017
Online submission 16 June - 11 September 2017
National finals (in 10 ASEAN Member States) End October to early November
ASEAN Face-off End November 2017
Final Selection and Prizes
Visualization: Use of visual analysis, compelling charts and graphs to depict the datasets and give viewers meaningful insights.
Data: volume, variety and relevance of data used to support your theme.
Compelling story: Design and layout of storyboard. Plausible recommendations, creativity and overall flow of the story.
User Experience: “Wow” Factor in total user experience.
Cash prizes for the top three winning teams across 10 countries:
o 1st place: € 800 (will participate in the regional competition)
o 2nd place: € 400
o 3rd place: € 200
Cash prizes for the top three winning teams:
o 1st place: € 1800
o 2nd place: € 1200
o 3rd place: € 600
Those interested can find out more about the competition and register online via the official website: www.aseandse.org